INCREDIBLE ROASTED SHOULDER OF LAMB WITH SMASHED VEGETABLES AND GREENS
In this recipe I'm going to show you how utterly incredible a slow-roasted shoulder of lamb can be. In exchange I'd like you to buy quality local lamb that's had the appropriate amount of hanging time. I'm going to let the meat speak for itself and not add much to it, just a simple sauce made from all the goodness in the pan. You can make this at any time of year served with any seasonal veg.
Provided by Jamie Oliver
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 16
- 1 (2.2-pound) shoulder of lamb
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large bunch fresh rosemary
- 1 bulb garlic, unpeeled, broken into cloves
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1/2 a large rutabaga, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups good-quality hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 heaped tablespoons capers, soaked, drained and chopped
- 1 large bunch fresh mint, leaves picked
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 pound lovely greens, such as white cabbage, savoy cabbage, Brussels sprouts tops
- or cavolo nero, leaves separated, stalks finely sliced
- For the lamb:
- Preheat your oven to full whack, (450 to 500 degrees F).
- Slash the fat side of the lamb all over with a sharp knife. Lay half the sprigs of rosemary and half the garlic cloves on the bottom of a high-sided roasting pan, rub the lamb all over with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place it in the pan on top of the rosemary and garlic, and put the rest of the rosemary and garlic on top of the lamb. Tightly cover the tray with aluminum foil and place in the oven. Turn the oven down immediately to 325 degrees F and cook for 4 hours - it's done if you can pull the meat apart easily with 2 forks.
- For the vegetables:
- When the lamb is nearly cooked, put thepotatoes, carrots and rutabaga into a large pot of boiling salted water and boil hard for 20 minutes or so until you can slide a knife into the rutabaga easily. Drain and allow to steam dry, then smash them up in the pan with most of the butter. If you prefer a smooth texture, add some cooking water. Spoon into a bowl, cover with foil and keep warm over a pan of simmering water.;
- For the sauce:
- Remove the lamb from the oven and place it on a chopping board. Cover it with foil, then a kitchen towel, and leave it to rest. Put a large pan of salted water on to boil for the greens. Pour away most of the fat from the roasting pan, discarding any bits of rosemary. Put the pan on the stovetop over medium heat and mix in the flour. Add the stock, stirring and scraping all the sticky goodness off the bottom of the pan. You won't need gallons of gravy, just a couple of flavorsome spoonfuls for each serving. Add the capers, turn the heat down and simmer for a few minutes.
- Finely chop the mint and add it to the sauce with the red wine vinegar at the last minute then pour into a pitcher. Add the greens and stalks to the pan of fast-boiling salted water and cook for 4 to 5 minutes to just soften them. Drain and toss with a knob of butter and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place everything in the middle of the table, and shred the lamb in front of your guests. Absolutely delish!
- "Our agreement with the producers of "Jamie at Home" only permit us to make 2 recipes per episode available online. Food Network regrets the inconvenience to our viewers and foodnetwork.com users"
OVEN-ROASTED BONELESS LEG OF LAMB
I purchased a leg of lamb roast from the store recently but had no idea on how I'd cook it. After reading ideas here on Allrecipes, I came up with my own marinade. While I made this in a conventional oven, it could also be made in a slow cooker on the slow setting for 7 to 8 hours time). Hope it's a hit! There was enough marinade left that I threw it over some chicken tenders for tomorrow's dinner.
Provided by Robertjm
Number Of Ingredients 19
- ⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried mint flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon crushed rosemary
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ¼ pounds boneless leg of lamb
- cooking spray
- 3 white potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 3 large carrots, cut into large chunks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, lime juice, garlic, mint, oregano, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, white pepper, and salt together in a bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap; refrigerate marinade at least 1 hour.
- Pierce lamb in multiple places evenly over the lamb; place into a gallon-sized freezer bag. Pour marinade over the lamb, squeeze excess air from the bag, and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator 8 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Prepare a shallow roasting pan with cooking spray.
- Remove lamb from marinade; shake to remove excess liquid. Reserve 2 tablespoons marinade; discard remainder.
- Place lamb in the middle of the prepared roasting pan.
- Combine potatoes and carrots in a large bowl. Pour vegetable oil and reserved marinade over the vegetables; toss to coat. Arrange vegetables around the lamb. Cover the roasting pan with aluminum foil.
- Roast lamb in preheated oven until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center reads 140 degrees F (60 degrees C), about 80 minutes. Remove foil and continue cooking until firm and meat is hot and slightly pink in the center, about 10 more minutes. Rest lamb 10 minutes before cutting to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 557.9 calories, Carbohydrate 23.6 g, Cholesterol 69.1 mg, Fat 42.1 g, Fiber 4.1 g, Protein 21.5 g, SaturatedFat 9.4 g, Sodium 178.4 mg, Sugar 3.5 g
ROAST LAMB SHOULDER WITH SPRING VEGETABLES
Here is a simple and gorgeous main dish that both celebrates spring and tastes like it. The perfect meal for a long, lazy afternoon or a Sunday evening. Boneless shoulder of lamb is ideal because you can smear the interior with garlic and mint. Favas, peas, asparagus and artichokes sparkle alongside.
Provided by David Tanis
Categories dinner, main course
Number Of Ingredients 13
- 1 boneless lamb shoulder roast, trimmed of most exterior fat
- Salt and pepper
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves, smashed to a paste
- 4 tablespoons roughly chopped mint
- 3 tablespoons fruity extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch young carrots, preferably heirloom, about 1/2 pound, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 baby artichokes, trimmed and halved, optional
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups fava beans (from 3 pound pods), blanched and peeled
- 3/4 pound medium asparagus, cut in 1-inch lengths
- 1/4 pound snow peas or 1 cup English peas
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped parsley
- Season lamb inside and out with salt and pepper. Smear interior with garlic paste and 3 tablespoons chopped mint. Press meat together in a long oval shape, then tie securely with butcher's twine. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and massage evenly over roast. Leave at room temperature for 1 hour, or refrigerate for up to several hours, even overnight. (If refrigerating, bring to room temperature before proceeding.)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. An hour or so before you plan to eat, put lamb on a rack in a roasting pan and cook for about 40 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer registers 125 degrees for medium rare. Let meat rest for at least 20 minutes (up to 45 minutes is fine) before slicing.
- Meanwhile, cook carrots in simmering salted water until just done, 5 to 7 minutes. Rinse in cold water to cool, then drain and reserve.
- In a wide, deep skillet with a lid, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high. Add onion and artichoke, if using, and season with salt and pepper. Let sizzle and color a bit, then reduce heat and cook for about 10 minutes, until onion and artichoke are softened. Stir in garlic. (You may prepare onions and artichoke up to this point in advance.) Turn off heat.
- About 5 minutes before serving, set heat under skillet to medium-high. Add fava beans, asparagus, carrots and snow peas. Season well with salt and stir gently to mix, then add 1/2 cup water and put on lid. Let cook for about 4 minutes more, until vegetables are done.
- Slice lamb and arrange on a large platter. Spoon vegetables around meat, sprinkle with parsley and remaining tablespoon of chopped mint.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 194, UnsaturatedFat 8 grams, Carbohydrate 18 grams, Fat 11 grams, Fiber 6 grams, Protein 9 grams, SaturatedFat 3 grams, Sodium 502 milligrams, Sugar 8 grams
Top Asked Questions
How to cook a boneless lamb shoulder?Preheat oven to 180C. To roast the boneless lamb shoulder, place oil, spices, garlic with herbs in a large bowl and stir to combine. Add lamb and using your hands, rub well to coat. Transfer lamb to a large roasting pan with a roasting rack. Pour any excess marinade left in bowl over the lamb and season liberally with salt and pepper.
What is in a slow roast lamb shoulder?Meltingly tender lamb, infused with the delicious flavours of garlic, rosemary and red wine, this Slow Roast Lamb Shoulder makes a brilliant centrepiece for Sunday lunch and celebrations, such as Easter and Christmas. And the cooking liquid makes the most delicious lamb and red wine gravy.
What is roast lamb?Roasting at a low temperature creates lamb meat that is succulent and literally falls off the bone. The following cooking times are for both, half shoulder lamb, and whole shoulder of lamb joint with the bone in. Measurements and cooking temperatures are given in both UK, metric and US, imperial.
Can you buy LAMB off the bone for roasting?This superb roasting joint is surprisingly inexpensive and packed with flavour. It can be bought on or off the bone and as a whole shoulder (enough for 4-6 people) or half shoulder (an ideal roasting joint for a hungry couple). This is all about slow cooking the lamb – if yours needs a little longer then leave it in the oven.
Provided by preachergirl
I saw this trick on "The Secret Life of Cake" on the Food Network. Haven't tried it yet, but I will next time I feel like cheating :lol:
Provided by puppitypup
Make and share this Sausage-And- Zucchini Skillet Lasagna recipe from Food.com.
Provided by SarahBeth
When zucchini season rolls around, you know you'll be looking for a recipe like this: quick and delicious Zucchini Lasagna, ready in an hour.
Provided by My Food and Family
Provided by Mommy Diva
Make and share this Scalloped New Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
Provided by ratherbeswimmin
Our tasters went nuts for these muffins - they're moist, fragrant, and put big old bakery muffins to shame. The orange zest in the glaze kicks up the orange...
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Make and share this Vegetable Spaghetti With Squash Noodles recipe from Food.com.
Provided by 49flavours
"This is a very simple cream filling. It can be frozen, and will not weep! I usually double the recipe for 1 batch of lady locks (approximately 120 cookies.)...
Provided by @MakeItYours
Make and share this Crock Pot Potato Soup recipe from Food.com.
Provided by casha
Slices of potato folded with herbs, butter, and sour cream and then baked to a golden brown. Not your "every day" fare! Irresistibly rich and delicious,...
Provided by Happy Harry 2
When is a Bakewell Tart not a Bakewell Tart is a question often asked? When it is a Bakewell Pudding. I can say that even in Bakewell, the town of origin...
Provided by @MakeItYours
Make and share this Easy French Onion Dip recipe from Food.com.
Provided by vannesakelly
I heard this cookie recipe over the radio about 1950-shortly after my husband and I married. The big spicy treats are so nice and chewy, they remain my...
Provided by @MakeItYours
How to make Giant Spice Cookies Recipe
Provided by @MakeItYours
Provided by Food Network
Chewy fruit cookies are warmed in the microwave and topped with ice cream, chocolate topping and walnuts for a unique sundae.
Provided by My Food and Family
Slightly spiced and super moist applesauce cake goes perfectly with a soft and luscious cream cheese and caramel frosting. This is the stuff fall dreams...
Provided by @MakeItYours
Macaroni is a great addition to this family favorite. Cooking the macaroni with the ground beef and seasonings makes cleanup a snap.
Provided by @MakeItYours
People also searched
More about "boneless lamb shoulder roast food"
SLOW COOKED LAMB SHOULDER | RECIPETIN EATS
5/5 (169)Total Time 3 hrs 45 minsCategory Lamb, RoastCalories 575 per serving
- Use a thin, sharp knife to make 12 incisions in the lamb, deep as you can but without piercing through the bottom of the lamb. (See photo in post and video
ROAST LAMB SHOULDER RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
3.8/5 (141)Estimated Reading Time 1 minServings 6
- Lightly score fat on lamb in a crisscross pattern at 1" intervals. Place lamb in a large roasting pan and season generously with salt and pepper, coating evenly on all sides. Sprinkle garlic and rosemary all over lamb and drizzle with oil and lemon juice.
- Using your hands, rub marinade into meat, making sure it’s completely coated. Arrange fat side up in pan. Cover very tightly with foil and chill for at least 2 hours or, preferably, overnight (the lamb will develop more flavor the longer it marinates).
- Preheat oven to 325°. Roast lamb, basting occasionally and adding water by 1/4-cupfuls if pan is dry, until meat is completely tender and pulling easily away from the bones, 4–4 1/2 hours (be sure to secure foil tightly around the roasting pan each time you finish basting the lamb).
- Remove lamb from oven and uncover. Preheat broiler. Broil lamb, basting occasionally, until fat is golden brown and crisp, 5–7 minutes.
STEP-BY-STEP BONELESS LEG OF LAMB ROAST RECIPE - IFOODREAL.COM
5/5 (51)Total Time 1 hr 40 minsCategory DinnerCalories 175 per serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a medium roasting pan or Dutch oven, place boneless leg of lamb roast and make 15 inserts with a paring knife. Stick garlic slice into each opening until you run out of garlic.
- Rub roast with oil all around. Then sprinkle one side with half of rosemary, salt and pepper. Turn around and repeat on another side.
- Bake uncovered according until desired doneness. Remember meat will keep "cooking" as it rests.°Medium Rare: 130 - 135 degrees F internal temperature - about 16 minutes/lb.°Medium Well: 140 - 145 F internal temperature - about 18 minutes/lb.°Well-Done: 150 - 155 F internal temperature - about 20 minutes/lb.
- My best advice for 4-5 lbs roast is to check internal temperature after 1 hour and go from there. For 2-3 lbs roast, check after 45 minutes. It all comes down to checking often after a certain period of time towards the end.
SLOW ROASTED LAMB SHOULDER - THE DINNER BITE
Ratings 1Category Lamb, Main CourseCuisine American, BritishTotal Time 3 hrs 10 mins
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F and prep the remaining ingredients. Cut the shallots into halves and the garlic bulb into two width-wise. You do not need to peel the garlic and shallots. Place the shallots and half of the garlic bulb in the casserole dish along with thyme and rosemary. Reserve the remaining garlic and some few springs of rosemary and thyme for later.You do not need to unroll the lamb before cooking as it can be cooked with the strings tied.
- Place the lamb on a chopping board and rub olive oil all over it, then proceed to season generously it with salt and black pepper.
- Place the lamb skin side up and over the aromatics, then sprinkle the remaining garlic, rosemary and thyme over the lamb. Pour the beef stock at the bottom of the pot, cover the pot with its lid and place it in the oven. Reduce the temperature to 170C/340/ gas mark 3 and roast for 3 hours for tender pull apart meat or as specified on the label of the meat packaging. 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time, remove the lid of the pan/dish and allow it to cook in the oven for the remaining time.
- Remove the lamb from the oven, transfer the roasted lamb to a warm plate/platter and rest for at least 20 minutes covered with an aluminium foil before carving.
SLOW COOKER LAMB SHOULDER - SLOW COOKER CLUB
Ratings 12Calories 371 per servingCategory Main Course
- Add the chopped veg and a sprig of rosemary to the slow cooker. Sprinkle over 3 tbsp of cornflour.
- Following cooking the lamb there will be a lot of fat sat on top of the gravy in the slow cooker. Use a meat baster to remove it (transfer it to a bowl and bin it once cooled, don't put it down the drain).
SLOW COOKER LAMB SHOULDER - THE AUSSIE HOME COOK
Cuisine AustralianTotal Time 8 hrs 30 minsCategory Dinner, Lunch
SLOW-ROASTED LAMB SHOULDER AND HOMEMADE MINT SAUCE - BBC FOOD
Servings 8Category Main Course
- For the lamb, place the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, thyme and rosemary in the bottom of a large, deep roasting tin. Put the lamb on top and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 30 minutes uncovered. Then lower the temperature to 160C/140C Fan/Gas 3. Cover the roasting tin with aluminium foil and cook for a further 4 hours.
- For the mint sauce, put the chopped mint in a small bowl and add the vinegar and sugar and stir until well combined. Set aside until ready to serve.
- For the roast potatoes, put the potatoes into a large saucepan, cover with water, add a pinch of salt and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes to the preheated fat and turn carefully, or until coated in the fat. Sprinkle with salt and place in the oven for 30 minutes, until starting to turn golden-brown and crisp.
- When the lamb is very tender, remove it from the cooking juices and allow to rest. Keep warm until ready to serve.
GRILLED LAMB SHOULDER PROVENCALE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
5/5 (4)Total Time 35 minsCategory CanadianCalories 123 per serving
SMOKED LAMB SHOULDER RECIPE - VINDULGE
4.6/5 (5)Total Time 10 hrs 45 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 378 per serving
- Prepare your smoker targeting 250 degrees Fahrenheit (F) using fruit wood, like apple or cherry. Alternatively oak or hickory are good options. We find mesquite a little too smoky for lamb.
- Start by removing the butcher twine. Lay the meat out flat on a sheet pan. Next trim away any excess fat on both sides of the shoulder or cartilage using a good quality filet or boning knife. Coat both sides of the lamb with olive oil and dry rub. Tie the meat back up again with more butcher twine tightly so it’s one uniform roast as you put it on your smoker.
- Place the lamb shoulder on the smoker and insert an instant read Bluetooth thermometer, like the Thermoworks Smoke Unit, to monitor the internal temperature. Smoke for three hours. In this phase the lamb will start to turn red and develop a bark.
- After the first three hours, start to spray the shoulder with the spritz. The spritz adds some moisture to the lamb, and helps the smoke molecules to stick to the meat. Make sure to use a food safe spray bottle for this.
SUCCULENT GREEK LAMB SHOULDER ROAST WITH LEMON POTATOES
4.9/5 (50)Total Time 2 hrs 55 minsCategory Cooking Tips And How TosCalories 590 per serving
- 1. Bring the lamb shoulder to room temperature. Trim any excess fat, but leave a good amount of fat cap on top. Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- 2. In a suitably sized roasting pan toss the potatoes with olive oil, half the lemon juice, oregano and a bit of salt and pepper.
- 3. Combine 2 tbsp olive oil, remaining lemon juice, 1 tsp lemon zest, rosemary leaves, salt, pepper, garlic and shallots. Puree using a handheld or counter top blender. (Alternatively mince garlic, shallots and rosemary leaves and combine with the rest of the ingredients). Spread all over the lamb shoulder and place it over the potatoes.
FAILPROOF ROAST LAMB SHOULDER - GREEN HEALTHY COOKING
4.6/5 (10)Total Time 1 hr 5 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 546 per serving
ROSEMARY GARLIC BONELESS LAMB ROAST - THE HOME COOK'S KITCHEN
5/5 (1)Total Time 1 hr 45 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 168 per serving
TRADITIONAL LAMB SHOULDER ROAST RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
3.8/5 (53)Total Time 1 hr 45 minsCategory Dinner, EntreeCalories 932 per serving
GARLIC BRAISED LAMB ROAST | RICARDO
5/5 (101)Category Main DishesServings 6Total Time 3 hrs
ROSEMARY AND THYME BRAISED LAMB SHOULDER - EPICURIOUS
3.9/5 (13)Total Time 4 hrs 30 minsServings 8
BONELESS LAMB SHOULDER ROAST WITH CRUSHED KIPFLERS RECIPE ...
Cuisine Modern AustralianServings 4
ROASTED SHOULDER OF LAMB RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK
3.3/5 (3)Author Gill BarlowServings 6Category Main-Dish
BONELESS LAMB SHOULDER ROAST RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
INCREDIBLE SLOW ROASTED SHOULDER OF LAMB RECIPE - FOOD.COM
5/5 (24)Total Time 4 hrs 30 minsCategory Lamb/SheepPublished 2009-01-10
CUT HIGHLIGHT: BONELESS LAMB SHOULDER — FULLER CONSULTING
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
LAMB SHOULDER (BONELESS) - LAMBTASTIC FARMS
Offer Count 2Availability In stockPrice Range $27 - $54
LAMB SHOULDER ROAST BONELESS - CAPRA FOODS
Brand Capra FoodsAvailability In stockEmail [email protected]
PERFECT LAMB ROAST SHOULDER - BONELESS IN THE OVEN - VEENA ...
Ratings 13Total Time 1 hr 30 minsCategory Dinner, Lunch, Main CourseCalories 274 per serving
CROCKPOT BONELESS LAMB ROAST TAJINE RECIPE - LEVANA COOKS
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
HOW TO COOK 3 POUND BONELESS LAMB SHOULDER ROAST (TIED ...
User Interaction Count 17
LAMB SHOULDER ROAST - KOL FOODS
JAMIE OLIVER’S SLOW-ROASTED LAMB SHOULDER | THE STAR
Author Jennifer BainEstimated Reading Time 2 mins
BONELESS LAMB LEG ROAST RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
BONELESS LAMB SHOULDER ROAST RECIPE - OFF GRID COOKING
HOW TO COOK BONED ROLLED SHOULDER OF LAMB | LIVESTRONG.COM
LAMB SHOULDER IN NINJA FOODI RECIPES
LAMB SHOULDER RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
10 BEST BONELESS BEEF SHOULDER ROAST RECIPES | YUMMLY
32 BEST BONELESS LAMB SHOULDER RECIPE IDEAS IN 2021 | POT ...
3 LB BONELESS LAMB ROAST - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
LAMB BONELESS SHOULDER ROAST RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ...
NINJA FOODI LAMB ROAST RECIPES
LAMB SHOULDER ROAST NUTRITION FACTS - EAT THIS MUCH
ROAST LAMB SHOULDER BONELESS | WOOLWORTHS
LAMB BONELESS SHOULDER ROAST RECIPE - SHARE-RECIPES.NET
BONELESS CHUCK ROAST OVEN RECIPES
17 LAMB SHOULDER RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
SLOW COOKER RECIPES ROAST LAMB | DEPORECIPE.CO
LAMB SHOULDER RECIPES | MARTHA STEWART