MELODY'S CORN MAQUE CHOUX
A common Creole dish that can be served as a side dish to any combination of meat and potatoes, pasta, or rice dishes. A flavorful complement. Prep time depend on whether or not you chop your own seasonings or use frozen pre-chopped seasonings. Cook time depends on how long it takes to prepare and cook the rest of the meal. Number of servings depends on how much everybody likes it.
Provided by Melody Dumplin
Number Of Ingredients 15
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 pinch Creole seasoning, or to taste
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 (20 ounce) package frozen corn kernels
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium, turning occasionally, until evenly browned and crisp, about 10 minutes; drain on paper towels. Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon drippings.
- Allow bacon to cool; crumble and set aside.
- Melt butter with the bacon drippings in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir onion, celery, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, thyme, salt, black pepper, parsley, and Creole seasoning in the butter mixture until onion is translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 more minutes.
- Mix in beef broth and corn; bring to a boil.
- Cover the saucepan and reduce heat to low; simmer until broth is nearly evaporated and vegetables are tender, about 20 more minutes. Stir in crumbled bacon. Dish can be simmered longer or held over low heat if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 176.3 calories, Carbohydrate 25.1 g, Cholesterol 18.6 mg, Fat 7.9 g, Fiber 3.6 g, Protein 5.1 g, SaturatedFat 4.2 g, Sodium 604.6 mg, Sugar 5.3 g
CAJUN CORN AND BACON MAQUE CHOUX
- 6 ears corn, husked and cleaned
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large fresh tomato, chopped
- ¼ cup milk
- salt to taste
- cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 8 strips crisply cooked bacon, crumbled
- Cut corn off the cobs by thinly slicing across the tops of the kernels; place in a medium bowl. Cut across the kernels again to release milk from the corn, add milk to bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and green pepper, cook until onion is transparent, about 5 to 8 minutes. Combine corn, tomatoes, and milk with the onion mixture. Reduce heat to medium low, and cook 20 minutes longer, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Do not boil. Season with salt and cayenne pepper. Lower heat, cover skillet, and cook 5 to 10 minutes longer. Stir in green onions and bacon. Remove from heat and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 346.5 calories, Carbohydrate 23.1 g, Cholesterol 41.9 mg, Fat 21.5 g, Fiber 3.8 g, Protein 17.9 g, SaturatedFat 6.2 g, Sodium 884 mg, Sugar 5.9 g
CORN MAQUE CHOUX (FRIED CORN)
I had no idea this dish even had a name until I grew up. We had it any time we had fried chicken, which was often. I love this dish - to me it is comfort food.
Provided by P48422
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 lb corn kernel (cut from the cob or frozen and thawed)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- In the skillet, heat the butter over medium low heat until melted.
- Add the onion and saute until wilted but not brown.
- Add the bell peppers and the corn and stir to coat everything with butter, sprinkle with some salt, pepper, and cayenne, and continue cooking over med-low heat, stirring frequently, until all liquid (if any) completely evaporates, the vegetables start to take on a slight caramalization and the whole room smells really, really good.
- (This should take about 20 minutes).
- Taste, adjust the seasonings if you need to, and serve.
- Note: I say to use a cast iron skillet because, as with cornbread, I believe this dish suffers in flavor if it is not cooked in one.
- However, if you don't have one, you can use another skillet- just know that it would be much better cooked in a cast iron skillet.
Top Asked Questions
What is Maque choux and how to make it?— Mike H. Maque Choux is a classic Cajun recipe of corn and peppers sautéed in bacon grease until softened and spiced with a blend of Cajun seasonings. It’s an outstanding Southern side dish. Heat a large pan to medium heat and add the bacon. Cook the bacon until it becomes nice and crispy, about 8 minutes.
What can I substitute for Bacon in a Maque choux?Try the maque choux this way and see if you notice how bold and lively it tastes. If you miss the smokiness that bacon imparts, try instead a pinch of smoked paprika stirred in at the end. Featured in: This Cajun Corn Dish Screams ‘Summer’ .
Can you freeze corn Maque choux?We normally cleaned many sacks of corn at a time for packing the fresh PRIZED CORN MAQUE CHOUX in the freezer. Eating real corn maque choux was always a real treat and it doesn’t taste at all the same if you choose to use corn from a can.
How do you make Cajun corn casserole?Next, stir in 3 cups of corn, 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped bell pepper, and 1 chopped jalapeno pepper along with the Cajun seasonings. Cook them up, stirring a bit, until the vegetables cook through, about 20 minutes or so. Finally, stir in a half cup of heavy cream and simmer the whole dish for about 2 minutes.
Egg whites vary in size, and the quantity of whites used in a meringue affects its texture. When making these cookies, it's best to use a liquid measuring...
Provided by Gina Marie Miraglia Eriquez
Provided by Chuck Williams
Provided by Frank Randazzo
These low-carb, gluten-free hamburger buns are made with ground almonds, coconut flour, and flax seed.
Provided by myketorecipes
Provided by Daniel Humm
A delicious combination of red pepper sauce, fresh basil, almonds, broccoli florets, and pasta.
Provided by jessica
A brilliant recipe for making with children, making classic custard creams in your favourite shapes.
Provided by simonbeal
My daughter-in-law (and Test Kitchen gal), Krissi, is a rice pudding aficionado and she gives this recipe two enthusiastic thumbs-up. If you've never made...
Provided by maureen gorman
Provided by Lora Zarubin
Provided by á-32809
Serve up a cheesy dinnertime classic with the Turkey and Broccoli Casserole Recipe. Condensed cheddar cheese soup makes this Turkey and Broccoli Casserole...
Provided by My Food and Family
Provided by My Food and Family
Chocolate and peanut butter are at it again, this time in a refrigerator pie that delivers all the creamy goodness you can pour into a cookie crust.
Provided by My Food and Family
People also searched
More about "corn maque choux food"
CAJUN CORN MAQUE CHOUX - RECIPE - CHILI PEPPER MADNESS
5/5 (25)Total Time 30 minsCategory Side DishCalories 220 per serving
- Heat a large pan to medium heat and add the bacon. Cook the bacon until it becomes nice and crispy, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the corn onion, peppers and Cajun seasonings. Cook until they soften up, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream (or chicken stock). Let it warm for about 2 minutes, stirring a bit, then remove from heat.
CORN MAQUE CHOUX : TASTE OF SOUTHERN
5/5 (3)Category Side DishesCuisine CreoleTotal Time 45 mins
EMERIL LAGASSE’S KICKED-UP CORN MAQUE CHOUX | RECIPE ...
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
- Add the corn, onions, bell peppers, jalapeño, Essence and salt; cook, stirring, until soft, for 10 minutes
ROASTED CORN AND PEPPER MAQUE CHOUX - FOOD & WINE
5/5 Servings 8
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Brush the corn with the sesame oil and season with salt and pepper. Wrap each ear in foil and bake for about 30 minutes, or until tender. Let cool, then unwrap the corn and, working over a bowl, cut the kernels from the cobs.
- In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, cook the bacon over moderately low heat, stirring, until it's lightly crisp and the fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the rendered fat.
- Add the onion and bell pepper to the casserole and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the corn, bacon and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the cream, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the cream thickens and coats the corn, about 8 more minutes. Stir in the sliced scallions and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
CORN AND WHITE BEAN MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE - FOOD NETWORK
5/5 (6)Author The Hearty BoysCuisine AmericanCategory Side-Dish
- Pour olive oil into a large pot and place over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, tomato, peppers, cumin, coriander and chili powder. Cook the vegetables, stirring often, until translucent and soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add the corn and white beans to the pot and cook until heated through. Gently stir and season with salt and pepper. Add the butter and stir until melted. Serve immediately.
CORN MAQUE CHOUX | JUST A PINCH RECIPES
Cuisine Cajun/CreoleCategory VegetablesServings 4Total Time 30 mins
MAQUE CHOUX - FOODSWOON
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
MACQUE CHOUX | SEARCH RESULTS | REALCAJUNRECIPES.COM: LA ...
MAQUE CHOUX WITH FRIED GREEN TOMATOES RECIPE | JAMES BEARD ...
EASY CORN MAQUE CHOUX - SOUTHERN BITE
4.5/5 (4)Category Side DishCuisine American, Cajun, CreoleEstimated Reading Time 7 mins
- In a large skillet or dutch oven, melt the bacon grease or butter over medium heat. Add the oninon and peppers and cook until they are tender - about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, sitrring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add the corn, tomatoes, and heavy cream and stir to combine. Add the salt and reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until the corn is cooked through and most of the liquid had evaporated. Adjust seasoning to taste, adding Creole seasoning, if desired. Allow to rest about 5 minutes to allow the mixture to thicken before serving.
EASY CORN MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE - PINCH AND SWIRL
5/5 (4)Total Time 30 minsCategory Side DishCalories 201 per serving
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet, cast iron or other non-stick, over medium heat until hot. Add bacon; cook and stir until crispy, 2-3 minutes. Add bell peppers, green onions, and garlic; cook and stir until softened, about 3 minutes. Add corn; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add butter, black pepper, and cayenne to skillet; stir to combine. Season to taste with kosher salt and serve hot.
MAQUE CHOUX SOUP RECIPE | MYRECIPES
5/5 (2)Total Time 40 minsServings 6
- Stir together first 2 ingredients. Place a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add half of corn mixture; cook, stirring constantly, 4 minutes or until vegetables begin to char. Transfer mixture to a 3-qt. saucepan. Add remaining corn mixture to skillet; cook, stirring constantly, 4 minutes or until vegetables begin to char. Stir in cumin and coriander; cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add 2 cups broth to corn mixture in saucepan, and process with a handheld blender 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly smooth. Add remaining corn mixture and 2 cups broth to saucepan; bring to a light boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring often, 5 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Whisk together sour cream and cornmeal in a heatproof bowl. Whisk in 1/2 cup hot soup. Add sour cream mixture to soup. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until thickened.
MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE - NYT COOKING
4/5 (639)Servings 1Cuisine AmericanTotal Time 20 mins
- Working with 1 corn cob at a time, set the ear of corn upright in a medium bowl. Shave the corn from the cob by slicing down the sides using the tip of a sharp chef’s knife, holding the knife almost vertical. (This gives you neat tablets of corn that land squarely in the bowl and keeps the kernels from scattering all over the counter.) Using the back of the knife, scrape each cob to release all the nibs and the “milk” of the kernels into the bowl. Repeat with remaining ears of corn, then snap the cobs in half, and add them to the bowl.
- In a large, deep sauté pan, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat until foaming. Add onion and celery, and season with 1 or 2 pinches of kosher salt. Stir constantly until softened and translucent but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter and the bell pepper, poblano and serrano, and stir constantly, adding another pinch of kosher salt, letting the butter melt and the peppers soften and become translucent, about 2 or 3 minutes. You will smell the peppers’ sweetness and their mild capsaicin releasing.
- Add the final 3 tablespoons butter and the corn mixture from the bowl, cobs included, and another pinch of kosher salt. Stir constantly to coat with the butter and combine thoroughly.
CAJUN CORN MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE - FOOD.COM
5/5 (5)Total Time 38 minsCategory CornCalories 168 per serving
CORN MAQUE CHOUX WITH SMOKED ANDOUILLE CHICKEN SAUSAGE
Ratings 8Category Main CourseCuisine American, CajunTotal Time 35 mins
- Using a deep skillet, add butter and place over medium-high heat. Once hot, add bell peppers and onions; sauté for 6-8 minutes or until onion begins to turn transparent.
- Meanwhile, slice the al fresco Smoked Andouille Chicken Sausage and cook in a dry skillet, flipping occasionally, until browned. Set sausage aside.
- Add corn, tomatoes, garlic, Cajun seasoning, thyme, salt, pepper and whipping cream to the onion mixture; stir and reduce heat to medium low. Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
CAJUN CORN MAQUE CHOUX (MOCK SHOE) RECIPE - FOOD.COM
Servings 4Total Time 30 minsCategory CornCalories 352 per serving
CAJUN TASSO CORN MAQUE CHOUX WITH GRILLED ... - FOOD NETWORK
Cuisine AmericanAuthor Jay DucoteServings 50Category Side-Dish
- Prepare a grill for medium heat. Shuck the corn, being sure to remove all the silk. Season the ears with some olive oil, salt and black pepper. Grill, rotating the ears regularly, so as to char but not scorch, 10 to 15 minutes. Reserve.
- Dice the Tasso into approximately 1-centimeter cubes. Heat a large, heavy Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the Tasso with a little bit of canola oil and cook, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until evenly browned, about 15 minutes. Remove and reserve, leaving any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Add a little more canola oil to the Dutch oven. Add the garlic, celery, jalapenos, onions and bell pepper and sautee until the onions are sweated, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer, scraping up the bits from the bottom of the pan, until all the wine has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the bay leaves, thyme, red pepper flakes, 1 tablespoon paprika, 2 teaspoons cayenne, 2 teaspoons chili powder and some salt and black pepper. Stir.
CORN MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE - FOOD.COM
5/5 (1)Total Time 1 hrCategory CornCalories 407 per serving
- Using high heat combine 4 T butter, oil, onions, sugar, pepper, salt, cayenne, and corn in a large skillet or frying pan. Cook until corn is tender and starch forms a crust on the pan bottom, about 14 to 16 minutes. Stir occasionally and stir more as it starts to stick.
- Gradually add 1 C of the stock, scraping the pan bottom and continue cooking 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 8-10 minutes, stirring once or twice. Add 1/4 C stock and cook 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the remaining 1 C stock and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
CAJUN CORN MAQUE CHOUX - PUDGE FACTOR
4.8/5 (24)Total Time 33 minsCategory Side DishCalories 161 per serving
- Shuck corn by removing the husks and silky tassels. Cut kernels from cob. Run knife up and down cob to remove any residual corn "milk". (See Tip 2)
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes, or until onion begins to turn translucent. Add bell pepper and jalapeño pepper; continue sautéing for 3 minutes.
- Add corn and cook, stirring occasionally over medium heat until corn is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
CORN MAQUE CHOUX - SPICY SOUTHERN KITCHEN
5/5 (1)Category Side DishCuisine SouthernCalories 276 per serving
MAQUE CHOUX CORN RECIPE - FOOD.COM
Servings 6-8Total Time 1 hr 30 minsCategory CornCalories 487 per serving
CORN MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE | COOKING CHANNEL
Cuisine AmericanCategory Side-DishServings 4-6Total Time 45 mins
CORN AND OKRA MAQUE CHOUX - SIMPLE SEASONAL
Reviews 16Servings 4Cuisine AmericanCategory Entrees
QUICK CORN & BELL PEPPER MAQUE CHOUX - FRUGAL HAUSFRAU
Reviews 5Category SidesServings 8Total Time 40 mins
GARDEN VEGETABLE MAQUE CHOUX - SPOONFUL OF NOLA
Estimated Reading Time 4 minsTotal Time 1 hr
MAQUE CHOUX WITH TASSO HAM RECIPE - FOOD NETWORK
5/5 (3)Author Damaris PhillipsCuisine AmericanCategory Side-Dish
CORN MAQUE CHOUX - FOOD CHANNEL
Estimated Reading Time 50 secs
CAJUN CORN MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE | LOUISIANA CAJUN MANSION ...
Author Sandra Booher
KICKED UP CORN MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK
Cuisine AmericanAuthor Recipe from Emeril LagasseServings 4Category Side-Dish
CORN MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
3.8/5 (39)Servings 4
MAQUE CHOUX | SOUTHERN FOOD AND BEVERAGE WIKI | FANDOM
CAJUN CORN RECIPE ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
CORN MAQUE CHOUX - MENU - SQUEAL - NEW ORLEANS
MAQUE CHOUX – EVERYDAY CREOLE
MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE | YUMMLY | RECIPE IN 2021 | CORN MAQUE ...
OKRA AND CORN MAQUE CHOUX - CRYSTAL VALLEY FOODS
52 CORN MAQUE CHOUX RECIPE IDEAS IN 2021 | MAQUE CHOUX ...
FOOD LUST PEOPLE LOVE: MAQUE CHOUX – SPICY CAJUN CORN
GRILLED CHICKEN WITH CHERRY-ANCHO BBQ SAUCE, CORN …
CORN MAQUE CHOUX | RECIPE | MAQUE CHOUX, SUMMER CORN ...
SIDE DISHES : KING CREOLE CORN MAQUE CHOUX 4LB 824855102715
CAJUN STYLE CORN MAQUE CHOUX: SWEETCORN. IT’S OFTEN ...
CORN MAQUE CHOUX - YOUTUBE
10 CORN MAQUE CHOUX IDEAS | COOKING RECIPES, RECIPES, FOOD