VEGAN POTATO LEEK GRATIN
I've always loved these creamy, delicious dishes and find that it's difficult to recreate them without dairy. This creamy casserole style dish is perfect for anyone who is vegan or allergic to dairy.
Provided by Clara Schryer
Number Of Ingredients 12
- 2 medium leeks, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano, divided
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 (5.6 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups almond milk, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese
- Combine leeks, margarine, garlic, 2 teaspoons oregano, 2 teaspoons rosemary, salt, and pepper in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook until leeks are soft, 7 to 8 minutes. Add potatoes, coconut milk, almond milk, and flour and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer until potatoes are almost cooked, 10 to 15 minutes. Add more liquid if mixture starts to stick.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a casserole dish.
- Spoon potato mixture into the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Garnish with remaining oregano and rosemary.
- Bake in the preheated oven until potatoes are fully cooked and the top is golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 204.4 calories, Carbohydrate 29.2 g, Fat 7.3 g, Fiber 2.7 g, Protein 4.9 g, SaturatedFat 4 g, Sodium 561.7 mg, Sugar 2.3 g
POTATO LEEK GRATIN
Layer thinly sliced potatoes in a gratin dish, and then take your time sautéing the leeks, letting them turn a little golden and crisp around the edges, which brings out their sweetness. Add the leeks to the potatoes, and using the same pan in which you cooked the leeks, scrape up the brown bits at the bottom of the pan with a mix of cream, garlic, thyme and nutmeg, pouring that over the potatoes and leeks.
Provided by Melissa Clark
Categories casseroles, side dish
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 11
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, more for greasing the pan
- 2 large leeks, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 fat garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup Gruyère, grated
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and butter a 2-quart gratin dish. Wash the leeks to remove any grit and slice thinly crosswise.
- Using a mandoline or sharp knife, slice the potatoes into rounds, 1/8-inch thick. Toss with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Layer the rounds in the gratin dish.
- Melt the 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks, remaining salt and pepper, and thyme. Cook, stirring, until leeks are tender and golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Discard thyme and scatter the leeks over the potatoes.
- Add cream, garlic and bay leaf to the skillet, scraping up browned bits of leeks from the bottom of the pan. Simmer gently for 5 minutes. Stir in nutmeg.
- Pour the cream over the leeks and potatoes and top with the Gruyère. Cover with aluminum foil and transfer to the oven. Bake for 40 minutes, uncover and bake until the cheese is bubbling and golden, 15 to 20 minutes longer. Let cool slightly before serving.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 352, UnsaturatedFat 8 grams, Carbohydrate 27 grams, Fat 24 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 9 grams, SaturatedFat 15 grams, Sodium 461 milligrams, Sugar 4 grams, TransFat 0 grams
POTATO & LEEK GRATIN
- 125ml stock (made with a cube - whatever you've got)
- carton double cream
- 150ml milk
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- a knob of butter, for greasing
- 800g potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 leeks, washed and thinly sliced
- 175g sliced ham, chopped (optional)
- 85g cheddar, grated
- Pour the stock, cream and milk into a small saucepan, add the garlic and bay leaf and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat, cover and let the flavours infuse while you get on with the rest of the dish.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4/fan 160C. Butter a 2 litre gratin dish well. Mix the potatoes, leeks and ham (if using) together in the dish, and spread out in an even layer. Pour over the stock mixture and tuck the bay leaf in the middle. Season and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Stand the dish on a baking tray to catch any spills. Loosely cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Test the potatoes with a knife - they should be just beginning to soften. Remove the foil and bake for another 35-45 minutes, spooning some of the stock mixture over every now and again until the potatoes are tender. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 486 calories, Fat 28 grams fat, SaturatedFat 17 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 40 grams carbohydrates, Fiber 4 grams fiber, Protein 21 grams protein, Sodium 1.95 milligram of sodium
Top Asked Questions
How to cook potatoes and leeks for gratin?Heat oven to 350 degrees and butter a 2-quart gratin dish. Wash the leeks to remove any grit and slice thinly crosswise. Using a mandoline or sharp knife, slice the potatoes into rounds, 1/8-inch thick. Toss with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
How do you cook with leeks and potatoes in a pan?Arrange half of potato slices in a single layer in bottom of skillet or a gratin dish; top evenly with half of leek mixture. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup Gruyère cheese.
What is the best way to cook a baked potato gratin?Lightly butter a large (about 1.6 litre) gratin dish, then add a layer of overlapping potato slices. Season the potatoes and cover with the leeks and all the juices, then add the final layer of potato slices and season again. Pour over the cream and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown on top.
What is Rachel Allen's potato gratin?Rachel Allen’s potato gratin, made with butter and cream, is an indulgent side dish recipe. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Melt the butter in a pan, then add the leeks, garlic and most of the thyme. Cover with a disc of baking paper cut to the size of the pan, then put the lid on and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes until just soft.
Egg whites vary in size, and the quantity of whites used in a meringue affects its texture. When making these cookies, it's best to use a liquid measuring...
Provided by Gina Marie Miraglia Eriquez
Provided by Chuck Williams
Provided by Frank Randazzo
These low-carb, gluten-free hamburger buns are made with ground almonds, coconut flour, and flax seed.
Provided by myketorecipes
Provided by Daniel Humm
A delicious combination of red pepper sauce, fresh basil, almonds, broccoli florets, and pasta.
Provided by jessica
A brilliant recipe for making with children, making classic custard creams in your favourite shapes.
Provided by simonbeal
My daughter-in-law (and Test Kitchen gal), Krissi, is a rice pudding aficionado and she gives this recipe two enthusiastic thumbs-up. If you've never made...
Provided by maureen gorman
Provided by Lora Zarubin
Provided by á-32809
Serve up a cheesy dinnertime classic with the Turkey and Broccoli Casserole Recipe. Condensed cheddar cheese soup makes this Turkey and Broccoli Casserole...
Provided by My Food and Family
Provided by My Food and Family
Chocolate and peanut butter are at it again, this time in a refrigerator pie that delivers all the creamy goodness you can pour into a cookie crust.
Provided by My Food and Family
People also searched
More about "creamy potato and leek gratin food"
LEEK AND POTATO CASSEROLE RECIPE - FOOD NETWORK
4/5 (15)Author Ree DrummondServings 6-8Category Side-Dish
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the leeks and thyme, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the leeks are softened and golden, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Peel and slice the potatoes into very thin rounds. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Layer half of the potatoes in the buttered dish, then layer half of the cooked leeks over the potatoes. Repeat the layers.
- Return the skillet to medium heat and add the cream cheese, cream, chicken stock and garlic. Stir together, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet. Sprinkle with the paprika and some salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and simmer for about 5 minutes so the cheese melts. Pour the cream mixture over the leeks and potatoes and top with the grated cheese.
POTATO & LEEK GRATIN RECIPE - FOOD.COM
5/5 (4)Category PotatoAuthor Outta HereCalories 132 per serving
- Place the broth in a large saucepan along with the seasonings (1 1/2 teaspoons thyme, garlic chips, salt and pepper).
- Trim off the dark green part of the leek. (Use for another purpose.) Take the white-light green portion and split in half lengthwise. Place that in a water bath and rinse well, changing water as needed in order to remove all dirt and sand from the leek. Once clean, slice the leek into thin half discs. Place into the pot of seasoned broth.
- Peel potatoes and slice very thin by hand or by using a mandoline or food processor. Slices should be less than 1/4 inch thick. Place potatoes in the saucepan.
CREAMY POTATO AND LEEK GRATIN - KITCHEN STORIES
4.5/5 (32)Category MainServings 4Total Time 1 hr 10 mins
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Peel and slice both potatoes into thin discs. Slice leek into rings. Pluck leaves from thyme sprig and chop. Mince garlic.
- Grate Gruyère and Parmesan cheeses. Mix together cream, vegetable broth, grated Parmesan, garlic, and thyme in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer gratin to oven and bake at 200°C/400°F for approx. 25 min. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with grated Gruyère, and bake for another 15 min. Sprinkle chopped hazelnuts all over and let bake for another 10 min. Enjoy!
CREAMY LEEK, PARSNIP & POTATO GRATIN RECIPE | PHILADELPHIA
LEEK POTATO GRATIN RECIPE - CIAOFLORENTINA
5/5 (1)Category Side DishesCuisine FrenchTotal Time 1 hr 5 mins
POTATO & LEEK GRATIN - RECIPE - FINECOOKING
4.8/5 (3)Category Main CourseCuisine FrenchCalories 660 per serving
PARSNIP, POTATO AND LEEK GRATIN - BY HEIN VAN TONDER, CAPE ...
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
CREAMY POTATO AND LEEK GRATIN RECIPE RECIPE - EPICURIOUS
3.9/5 (13)Total Time 1 hr 30 minsServings 8
LEEK AND POTATO GRATIN - LIFE MADE SIMPLE
5/5 (2)Category Side DishCuisine AmericanCalories 331 per serving
POTATO LEEK GRATIN - WHOLESOME MADE EASY
Cuisine FrenchTotal Time 1 hr 15 minsCategory Side DishCalories 194 per serving
- Use a mandoline or a food processor with the slicing blade to thinly slice the potatoes. Set aside.
- Trim and discard the root end and dark green end from the leek. Use a sharp knife to slice the leek in half, lengthwise, to expose the center. Flip each half over, cut-side down and slice them crosswise into thin 1/2-inch slices. Place the sliced leeks in a colander or salad spinner, rinse and drain well.
- Melt the butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced leeks and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden brown. Remove the pan from the heat.
POTATO LEEK AU GRATIN - THE MODERN PROPER
5/5 (1)Category Dinner, VegetarianServings 8Calories 455 per serving
- Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish or a large cast iron skillet with butter. In 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium heat, melt the butter
POTATO LEEK CASSEROLE - POTATO DAUPHINOIS GRATIN - EATING ...
5/5 (6)Total Time 1 hr 15 minsCategory Casserole, PotatoCalories 471 per serving
- Trim and cut the leeks in half inches squares (cut the leeks lengthwise twice, first in half, then in quarters and then chop);
- Scoop them out with a slotted spoon from the top and place on the paper towel to remove extra water;
POTATO-FENNEL GRATIN RECIPE | INA GARTEN - FOOD NETWORK
5/5 (190)Author Ina GartenCuisine FrenchCategory Side-Dish
- Remove the stalks from the fennel and cut the bulbs in half lengthwise. Remove the cores and thinly slice the bulbs crosswise, making approximately 4 cups of sliced fennel. Saute the fennel and onions in the olive oil and butter on medium-low heat for 15 minutes, until tender.
- Peel the potatoes, then thinly slice them by hand or with a mandoline. Mix the sliced potatoes in a large bowl with 2 cups of cream, 2 cups of Gruyère, salt, and pepper. Add the sauteed fennel and onion and mix well.
RICH AND CREAMY POTATO GRATIN RECIPE - TOM VALENTI | FOOD ...
5/5 Total Time 3 hrsServings 12
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cream, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, nutmeg and peppercorns and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour. Strain the cream. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Butter a 3-inch deep 3-quart oval baking dish. Spread one-fourth of the potatoes in the dish. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with one-fourth of the cream. Repeat the layering twice, seasoning as you go. Arrange the last layer in concentric circles. Drizzle with the remaining cream. Press the potatoes down to submerge in the cream. Press a sheet of lightly buttered parchment paper onto the potatoes. Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are barely tender when pierced with a knife. Remove the foil and parchment and bake for 40 minutes longer, or until the potatoes are tender, the cream is absorbed and the top is golden. Let stand for 10 minutes; serve.
CREAMY POTATO LEEK GRATIN WITH FENNEL AND GRUYERE CHEESE ...
5/5 (5)Total Time 1 hr 30 minsCategory Side DishCalories 337 per serving
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Arrange half of sliced fennel in a single layer in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon fennel fronds, half of the parsley, and season with salt and pepper.
LEEK AND POTATO GRATIN RECIPE - DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
5/5 (3)Total Time 1 hr 20 minsCategory Gratin RecipesCalories 320 per serving
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Melt the butter in a pan, then add the leeks, garlic and most of the thyme. Cover with a disc of baking paper cut to the size of the pan, then put the lid on and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes until just soft.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a pot of boiling water for 3 minutes, then drain. Lightly butter a large (about 1.6 litre) gratin dish, then add a layer of overlapping potato slices.
- Season the potatoes and cover with the leeks and all the juices, then add the final layer of potato slices and season again. Pour over the cream and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown on top. Serve scattered with the remaining thyme.
CREAMY POTATO-LEEK GRATIN - SCHNUCKS
Servings 8Total Time 1 hr 15 minsCategory Side DishCalories 533 per serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 13 x 9 glass, ceramic or metal baking dish with 2 teaspoons butter. Trim off and discard ends and dark green outer leaves of leeks. Cut leeks lengthwise in half, then thinly slice crosswise. You should have about 6 cups. Rinse and drain leeks very well to remove any grit.
- In 5-quart sauce pot, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add leeks and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cover and cook 14-16 minutes or until leeks are very soft and start to brown, stirring occasionally. Transfer leeks to bowl. You should have about 2 1/2 cups leeks.
- Into same sauce pot, add cream, cayenne, nutmeg and remaining 2 teaspoons salt; heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and cook 4-5 minutes or until cream becomes very thick, stirring frequently.
POTATO AND LEEK GRATIN RECIPE - COOKING LIGHT
Servings 10Calories 134 per servingTotal Time 45 mins
POTATO & LEEK GRATIN RECIPE - EATINGWELL
Category Healthy Potato Casserole RecipesCalories 219 per servingTotal Time 50 mins
- Place oven rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat to 425 degrees F. Coat a 1 1/2- or 2-quart gratin dish or other shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine milk, garlic, bay leaf, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan; bring to a simmer, stirring, over medium-low heat. Gently slip in potatoes, partially cover and simmer gently over low heat, stirring often, just until potatoes are tender, but not soft, and the milk has thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. (Alternatively, combine milk and seasonings in a 2-quart glass measure or microwave-proof casserole; microwave on High for 6 to 8 minutes, until simmering. Slip in potatoes, cover with lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on Medium for 15 to 25 minutes, stirring twice, just until tender.)
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat; add leeks and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer half the cooked potatoes with a slotted spoon to the prepared gratin dish, discarding bay leaf. Cover with leek mixture. Spread remaining potatoes over leeks. Add sour cream and mustard to milk remaining in the saucepan and whisk to blend; spread over the gratin. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until bubbly and golden on top, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve.
CREAMY LEEK & POTATO SOUP RECIPE - WOOLWORTHS
Cuisine BritishCategory EntreesServings 4Total Time 55 mins
HAM AND LEEK POTATO GRATIN RECIPE - COLES
Cuisine FrenchCategory Savoury,SideServings 6
CREAMY LEEK AND POTATO GRATIN - YOUNG LOVE MOMMY
5/5 (1)Category RecipesCuisine AmericanTotal Time 55 mins
CREAMY SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH KALE AND LEEKS - THE FLOUR ...
Reviews 2Category SideServings 8Total Time 55 mins
SKILLET POTATO LEEK GRATIN | FOR THE LOVE OF COOKING
5/5 (1)Category Side DishCuisine FrenchTotal Time 1 hr 30 mins
POTATO AND LEEK GRATIN - SMITTEN KITCHEN
Servings 8Total Time 1 hr 30 minsEstimated Reading Time 3 mins
HAM, LEEK & POTATO GRATIN - THE ENGLISH KITCHEN
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
CREAMY CHEESE, LEEK AND POTATO BAKE | COMMUNITY RECIPES ...
A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS: POTATO, LEEK AND MUSHROOM GRATIN
3/5 (1)Category Main DishCuisine enTotal Time 1 hr 45 mins
TOMATO, POTATO AND LEEK GRATIN BY CHEF HUGH ACHESON
Servings 6-8Calories 230 per servingTotal Time 1 hr 35 mins
LEEK AND POTATO GRATIN RECIPE - AXEDREAMER.MYMOM.INFO
CREAMY POTATO & LEEK GRATIN (FROM THE FINAL ISSUE OF ...
15 COMFORTING POTATO GRATIN RECIPES | MYRECIPES
POTATO LEEK GRATIN INA GARTEN - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
10 BEST LEEK AND POTATO GRATIN NO CREAM RECIPES | YUMMLY
LEEK GRATIN JAMES MARTIN RECIPES
POTATO AND LEEK GRATIN (4) | SUE'S RECIPES AND OTHER STORIES
CREAMY POTATO AND LEEK GRATIN RECIPES
CREAMY POTATO AND LEEK GRATIN - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
POTATO LEEK AU GRATIN - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
LEEK AND POTATO RECIPES - BBC GOOD FOOD
POTATO, LEEK, AND FENNEL GRATIN – MOVEABLE FEAST - RELISH
CREAMY MUSHROOM, LEEK & SWEET POTATO CHOWDER MEAL KIT ...
INA GARTEN POTATO LEEK SOUP RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
10 BEST LEEK AND POTATO GRATIN NO CREAM RECIPES | YUMMLY
POTATO LEEK GRATIN - MISFITS MARKET