POLLO TAMALES CON SALSA VERDE
Pollo (means Chicken) Salsa Verde is (green Salsa) Back in 2004 I was pregnant with my first son, and was craving Chicken Tamales, My best friend Xochitl Gutierrez made some of thee best tamales I had ever had, so we boiled 4 chickens and split the work and tamales between our two households. Now my son who is 9, LOVES tamales,...
Provided by Elizabeth Lancaster
Categories Poultry Appetizers
Number Of Ingredients 18
- MASA MIX
- 6 c masa harina
- 5 c warm water or low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 c lard
- 3 Tbsp onion powder
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 3 Tbsp chile powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 large whole chickens (cage free) boiled and deboned/deskinned
- 1 bag(s) corn husks
- GREEN SALSA
- 1 lb tomatillos, fresh
- 1/2 c chopped onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 whole jalapenos
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 c water
- 1. Place husks in large pot or large bowl; add water to cover. Place heavy plate on husks to keep submerged. Let stand until husks soften, turning occasionally, at least 3 hours and up to 1 day.
- 2. Boil Chickens ( about 1 1/2 hr) together in a Large pot, save the broth for your Masa Mixture or you can use canned broth. skin and debone your chickens and set aside.
- 3. While Chicken is cooking or after its deboned, Husk and wash the tomatillos. In a Medium pot on the stove top, on med-high heat add tomatillos,garlic,cilantro,onion,jalapenos,in water, simmer to a boil boil them until tender, about 10-15 minutes. Drain and put them into the bowl of a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- 4. In a mixing bowl combine masa and warm water or broth until combined. Let the mixture sit for 20 minutes or so to let the masa soften. Then mix it on low speed until a dough forms. After the Masa Harina is prepared, gradually add in the salt, cumin and onion powder by sprinkling them over the dough as you mix it. In a separate bowl, whip lard or shortening about three minutes or until fluffy. Add the lard to the dough a little at a time while mixing until well combined.
- 5. Carefully separate the soaked corn husks, and place them on a towel on the countertop. Arrange your ingredients in the order you will be assembling them (at least that is how I have found is easiest). Corn Husks first Bowl of Masa Dough Add Meat Steamer pot to cook the tamales in
- 6. use a spatula or your hand, take enough of the Prepared Masa to spread over the corn husks covering the top 2/3 and 2/3 of one side. You want the Masa to be about 1/4-inch thick. If you spread it too thick, it will be difficult to roll up with the meat added and it will squeeze out onto your hand or counter. If you make it too thin, you will have the meat falling out in the steamer.
- 7. Add about 1 tablespoon chicken, spreading it evenly down the center of the masa (careful to leave 1/2-inch at the top and bottom, and room on the sides for the masa to close around the meat).
- 8. Carefully roll the tamale, starting with the side covered with the Masa Dough. Turn right side over to center of filling; fold left side over filling, allowing plain part of husk to wrap around filling. Fold top end down over bottom end. Roll it snug, but not too tight. Too tight and you might end up with a hand full of Masa and this really cannot be used to make a new one.
- 9. Take an extra large stock pot with a wire rack supported on two clean bricks (very well washed bricks). There are "tamale" pots you can buy that are made specifically for tamale making. fill the bottom of the steamer pot with water, making sure the bottoms of the tamales are not in the water. layer your tamales on their sides going every other direction with each layer, until all tamales are in the pot.
- 10. Cover and bring just to a boil. Keep the water bubbling, not a hard boil. Once steam has begun to escape from the pot, reduce the heat to medium; keep these steaming for at least 2-3 hours, adding water as needed so the pot doesn't go dry.
- 11. The tamales are done when the Masa Dough around the meat feels firm there are no parts of uncooked dough left. To test the tamales for doneness, remove one tamale from the steamer. Let this cool for a moment or two. As you open the husks, the dough should come away easily from the husks and be completely smooth. To make doubly sure, open up the tamales and see if they are spongy and well cooked throughout. Remove the tamales, and let them rest on the counter for a few minutes. This will help them finish "setting" up and let them cool so no one burns their mouth They can be eaten right way, stored in containers in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days, or they can be frozen for up to 3 months (that is if they last that long). If you use a vacuum sealer they can be kept frozen up to a year. To reheat the tamales, wrap in foil and place in 350 degree F. oven about 30 minutes.
- 12. Can be eaten with sour cream and extra salsa, ( I always make a second batch of Verde Salsa (green Salsa) to smoother my tamales. IMPORTANT: Remember to remove the corn husk wrapper before you eat the tamale. Enjoy!!
GREEN CHILE CHICKEN TAMALES (TAMALES CON SALSA VERDE Y POLLO)
Masa labeled "masa preparada para tamales" often contains baking powder and salt, so don't add either if it does. Soak the husks three hours ahead or overnight.
Yield Makes about 26
Number Of Ingredients 15
- 1 (8-ounce) package dried corn husks
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked, rinsed
- 4 (3-inch-long) serrano chiles, stemmed, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 4 cups (packed) coarsely shredded cooked chicken (about 1 pound; from purchased rotisserie chicken)
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/3 cups lard or solid vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (omit if masa mixture contains salt)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (omit if masa mixture contains baking powder)
- 4 cups freshly ground masa dough for tamales (34 to 36 ounces), or make masa dough with 31/2 cups masa harina (corn tortilla mix; about 17 ounces) mixed with 2 1/4 cups warm water
- 2 cups (about) low-salt chicken broth
- For filling:
- Place husks in large pot or large bowl; add water to cover. Place heavy plate on husks to keep submerged. Let stand until husks soften, turning occasionally, at least 3 hours and up to 1 day.
- Preheat broiler. Line heavy baking sheet with foil. Arrange tomatillos on prepared sheet. Broil until tomatillos blacken in spots, turning once, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer tomatillos and any juices on sheet to processor and cool. Add chiles and garlic to processor and blend until smooth puree forms. Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add tomatillo puree and boil 5 minutes, stirring often. Add broth. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until sauce coats spoon thickly and is reduced to 1 cup, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes. Season with salt. Mix in chicken and cilantro. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
- For dough:
- Using electric mixer, beat lard (with salt and baking powder, if using) in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in fresh masa or masa harina mixture in 4 additions. Reduce speed to low and gradually beat in 1 1/2 cups broth, forming tender dough. If dough seems firm, beat in enough broth, 2 tablespoons at a time, to soften.
- Fill bottom of pot with steamer insert with enough water (about 2 inches) to reach bottom of insert. Line bottom of insert with some softened corn husks. Tear 3 large husks into 1/4-inch-wide strips to use as ties and set aside. Open 2 large husks on work surface. Spread 1/4 cup dough in 4-inch square in center of each, leaving 2- to 3-inch plain border at narrow end of husk. Spoon heaping tablespoon filling in strip down center of each dough square. Fold long sides of husk and dough over filling to cover. Fold up narrow end of husk. Tie folded portion with strip of husk to secure, leaving wide end of tamale open. Stand tamales in steamer basket. Repeat with more husks, dough, and filling until all filling has been used. If necessary to keep tamales upright in steamer, insert pieces of crumpled foil between them.
- Bring water in pot to boil. Cover pot and steam tamales until dough is firm to touch and separates easily from husk, adding more water to pot as necessary, about 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cool 1 hour. Cover and chill. Before serving, re-steam tamales until hot, about 35 minutes.)
Top Asked Questions
What are green tamales with chicken?Today, we are making another kind of tamale- green tamales with chicken or tamales de pollo en salsa verde. These chicken tamales are made using masa harina, stuffed with a chicken filling and a homemade green tomatillo salsa.
What is chile verde tamales?Today we are combining two very delicious Mexican dishes into one: chile verde, which is pork in a spicy green sauce, and tamales. These chile verde tamales are simple to make, but do take a little time.
What do they wrap tamales in Mexico?The most common wrapping is a corn husk, banana leaves, avocado leaves, hoja santa, and other non-toxic leaves used in some regions of Mexico. We made tamales with different types of fillings in Mexico, the stuffing could be chicken, pork, ground beef, shrimp, vegetables, and cheese.
What kind of salsa do you put in tamales?The salsas that we add to the stuffing range from Mole poblano sauce, Mole Oaxaqueño, red dried peppers, tomatillo salsa, also known as green salsa or salsa verde. And, every region has its own version of fillings for the tamales. We also have the sweet tamales, some with raisins, coconut, pineapple, nuts, chocolate tamales.
Egg whites vary in size, and the quantity of whites used in a meringue affects its texture. When making these cookies, it's best to use a liquid measuring...
Provided by Gina Marie Miraglia Eriquez
Provided by Chuck Williams
Provided by Frank Randazzo
These low-carb, gluten-free hamburger buns are made with ground almonds, coconut flour, and flax seed.
Provided by myketorecipes
Provided by Daniel Humm
A delicious combination of red pepper sauce, fresh basil, almonds, broccoli florets, and pasta.
Provided by jessica
A brilliant recipe for making with children, making classic custard creams in your favourite shapes.
Provided by simonbeal
My daughter-in-law (and Test Kitchen gal), Krissi, is a rice pudding aficionado and she gives this recipe two enthusiastic thumbs-up. If you've never made...
Provided by maureen gorman
Provided by Lora Zarubin
Provided by á-32809
Serve up a cheesy dinnertime classic with the Turkey and Broccoli Casserole Recipe. Condensed cheddar cheese soup makes this Turkey and Broccoli Casserole...
Provided by My Food and Family
Provided by My Food and Family
Chocolate and peanut butter are at it again, this time in a refrigerator pie that delivers all the creamy goodness you can pour into a cookie crust.
Provided by My Food and Family
More about "green chile chicken tamales tamales con salsa verde y pollo food"
GREEN TAMALES WITH CHICKEN (TAMALES DE POLLO EN SALSA …
4.8/5 (17)Total Time 1 hr 40 minsCategory ChickenCalories 209 per serving
- In a large bowl beat the lard until it changes to lighter color. This can be done with the help of your mixer or by hand. Add slowly the corn masa harina, baking powder, and chicken broth. Mix well and taste to season with salt. Beat until all ingredients are well combined and the dough is light and spongy.
- Remove the husks from their package and place the husks to soak in a warm bath of water for 40 minutes. This could be done in a large pot or in your kitchen sink. This step will help to soften the husks and easily be pliable while wrapping the corn dough.
TAMALES DE POLLO CON CHILE VERDE- GREEN CHILE CHICKEN ...
5/5 (16)Total Time 2 hrs 30 minsCategory ChickenCalories 300 per serving
- Preparing the cornhusks. Cover the husks with very hot water, weight with a plate to keep them submerged, and let stand for a couple of hours until the husks are pliable.
- Preparing the filling: On a baking sheet, roast the tomatillos about 4 inches below a very hot broiler until soft (they’ll blacken in spots), about 5 minutes; flip them over and roast the other side. Cool and transfer to a food processor or blender, along with all the delicious juice that has run onto the baking sheet. Add the chiles and garlic and process to a smooth puree. Heat the oil in a medium-size saucepan over medium high. When quite hot, add the puree all at once and stir until noticeably thicker and darker, about 5 minutes.(I cover the pot with a splatter screen) Add 2 cups of the broth and simmer over medium heat (I use high heat) until thick enough to coat a spoon quite heavily, at least 10 minutes. I keep it simmering while I shred the chicken. (If you are making a double batch of the recipe, make sure to cook the filling for a longer amount of time.) Taste and season highly with salt, usually about 2 teaspoons. Stir in the chicken and cilantro; cool completely.
- Preparing the batter: With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the lard or shortening with 2 teaspoons salt and the baking powder until light in texture, about 1 minute. Continue beating as you add the masa (fresh or reconstituted) in three additions. Reduce the speed to medium-low and add 1 cup of the remaining broth. Continue beating for another minute or so, until a ½-teaspoon dollop of the batter floats in a cup of cold water (if it floats you can be sure the tamales will be tender and light). Beat in enough of the remaining ½ cup of broth to give the mixture the consistency of soft (not runny) cake batter; it should hold its shape in a spoon. Taste the batter and season with additional salt if you think it needs some. For the lightest textured tamales, refrigerate the batter for an hour or so, then rebeat, adding a little more broth or water to bring the mixture to the soft consistency it had before.
- For forming the tamales, separate out 24 of the largest and most pliable husks—ones that are at least 6 inches across on the wider end and 6 or 7 inches long. If you can’t find enough good ones, overlap some of the large ones to give wide, sturdy surfaces to spread the batter on. Pat the chosen husks dry with a towel.
CHICKEN GREEN CHILE TAMALES RECIPE | 24BITE® RECIPES
5/5 (3)Total Time 4 hrs 5 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 131 per serving
TAMALES - DEL REAL FOODS GOURMET CHICKEN TAMALES IN …
5/5 (7)Category TamalesBrand Del Real
TAMALES CON SALSA VERDE Y POLLO (AKA GREEN CHILE …
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
GREEN CHILE CHICKEN TAMALES - RICK BAYLESS
CHILE VERDE TAMALES • MAMA LATINA TIPS
4.7/5 (23)Category Mexican Classics, Pork
- Cover 40-45 corn husks with hot water, place a heavy pan on top to make sure all the husks stay covered. Let them soak for 45 minutes. If you are making your filling in advance, soak the corn husks the day you are making the tamales.
- Place pork, bay leaves, pepper and 2 teaspoons salt in a pressure cooker, cover the meat with water and cook according to your pressure cooker's instruction manual (Note: Every pressure cooker is different, in mine it took 40 minutes). You can also use a slow cooker or a pot, but this will take longer. Whichever method you choose, in the end, you will need to have very tender pork meat and at least 3 cups of broth. When the meat is done, take it out of the broth and let it rest for a few minutes. Reserve the broth for later.
- Mix tamal flour, salt and baking powder. Pour broth and mix until well integrated. Place the vegetable shortening in a big bowl and beat until creamy and fluffy. Add the tamal mixture and with you hands mix all ingredients for 5-7 minutes. The masa will be a little coarse, wet and spreadable.
GREEN CHICKEN TAMALES RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK KITCHEN | FOOD ...
Cuisine MexicanAuthor Food Network KitchenServings 24Difficulty Intermediate
- Soak the corn husks in a bowl of hot water, using a plate to keep them submerged, until pliable, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: Bring the chicken base and 4 cups water to a simmer in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts and thighs and simmer until cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the chicken and let cool; cut into small pieces. Reserve the broth.
- Puree the cilantro and 1 1/4 cups of the reserved broth in a food processor until smooth (save the remaining broth for another use). Transfer to a medium pot. Add the salsa, cumin and garlic and bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook until slightly reduced, about 12 minutes. Stir in the chicken and season with salt. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Make the dough: Soak the ancho chile in hot water until soft, about 15 minutes. Drain the chile, then mince to make a paste. Combine the chile paste, masa harina, lard, 3 cups warm water and 2 teaspoons salt in a bowl. Mix with your hands (or use a mixer with the paddle attachment) until you can float a marble-size ball of the dough in water, 10 to 15 minutes.
EASY HOMEMADE CHICKEN TAMALES WITH SALSA VERDE - MUY BUENO ...
5/5 (1)Total Time 3 hrs 30 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 227 per serving
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and stir for an additional minute.
- Soak corn husks in water for an hour before using, rinse well with running water to take off any dust or corn husk fibers. To keep corn husks pliable and easy to work with, keep in water while filling tamales. Place a handful of wet corn husks in a colander to drain before using.
- Dissolve bouillon in a bowl of hot water and set aside. In a stand mixer whip the lard till fluffy, scraping sides so the lard stays in the center of the mixing bowl. (The flat beater is the ideal accessory for mixing.) Add masa and baking powder and mix. Slowly add broth and mix until combined.
- Place the wide end of the husk on the palm of your hand, narrow end is at the top. Starting at the middle of the husk spread 2 tablespoons of the masa with the back of a spoon in a rectangle or oval shape, using a downward motion towards the wide-bottom edge. Do not spread the masa to the ends; leave about a 2-inch border on the left and right sides of the husk.
GREEN CHILE CHICKEN TAMALES - PINTEREST.COM
Estimated Reading Time 50 secs
CHICKEN IN GREEN SALSA TAMAL - PATI JINICH
3.8/5 (6)Category Main CourseCuisine MexicanTotal Time 1 hr 20 mins
CHICKEN TAMALES RECIPE WITH SALSA VERDE
3.4/5 (21)Category Main DishServings 6Calories 531 per serving
TAMALES WITH GREEN CHILI AND PORK RECIPE
Cuisine MexicanCategory Appetizers And Hors D'oeuvres, SnacksServings 30Total Time 2 hrs 30 mins
GREEN CHILE AND CHICKEN (POLLO VERDE) TAMALES RECIPE
4.7/5 (41)Total Time 3 hrs 30 minsCategory Appetizer, Dinner, Lunch, EntreeCalories 256 per serving
CHICKEN CHILE VERDE (POLLO CON CHILE VERDE) - LA PIñA EN ...
5/5 (2)Servings 6Cuisine MexicanCategory Chicken, Main Course
TAMALES WITH CHICKEN AND SALSA VERDE RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK
Servings 4-6Steps 7Author David RosengartenPublished 2016-11-21
MY FAVORITE TAMAL OF ALL TIME: CHICKEN IN GREEN SALSA ...
4.6/5 (5)Category Main CourseCuisine Mexican
TAMALES DE POLLO EN SALSA VERDE (CHICKEN IN GREEN SALSA ...
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
TAMALES DE POLLO EN SALSA VERDE – DEL REAL FOODS
Brand Del Real FoodsAvailability In stock
GREEN CHILE CHICKEN TAMALES RECIPE - FOOD.COM
5/5 (2)Category ChickenAuthor AsiancajunCalories 149 per serving
GREEN CHILE CHICKEN TAMALES TAMALES CON SALSA VERDE Y ...
TURKEY TAMALES FOOD - ALLFOODSRECIPES.COM
GREEN CHILE CHICKEN TAMALES (TAMALES CON SALSA VERDE Y ...
HOW TO MAKE GREEN CHILE CHICKEN TAMALES RECIPE | …
GREEN CHILE TAMALES - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
GREEN CHILI SALSA RECIPES / GREEN CHILE CHICKEN TAMALES ...
10 BEST TAMALES RECIPES | YUMMLY
POLLO CON SALSA VERDE TAMALES RECIPES - COOKEATSHARE
CANNING GREEN BEANS RECIPE - GREEN CHILE CHICKEN TAMALES ...
SALSA VERDE ENCHILADAS RECIPE - GREEN CHILE CHICKEN ...
TAMALES DE POLLO EN SALSA VERDE RECIPE
CHILE CHEESE TAMALES RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
GREEN CHILE CHICKEN TAMALES TAMALES CON SALSA VERDE Y ...
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN TAMALES W/ SALSA VERDE - YOUTUBE
CHICKEN IN GREEN SAUCE TAMALES - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
GREEN CHILE CHICKEN TAMALES
TAMALES CON SALSA VERDE Y POLLO: AKA GREEN CHILE CHICKEN ...
CHICKEN TAMALE RECIPE FILLING : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST ...
TAMALES DE POLLO CON CHILE VERDE GREEN CHILE CHICKEN ...
GREEN CHILE CHICKEN TAMALES (TAMALES CON SALSA VERDE Y ...