MEATBALLS IN SALSA
This recipe is here through the courtesy of the great Mildred "Mama Dip" Council. If you didn't yet know about this great Southern treasure, read up on her life story and buy her cookbook. You will not regret it!
Provided by Mercy
Yield 5 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- 1 (16 ounce) jar prepared hot salsa
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 lb ground sirloin (or lean ground beef)
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt (I use fresh minced garlic and salt, but this is the original recipe)
- 2 tablespoons prepared steak sauce (like A1)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Combine the salsa with the tomato sauce in a saucepan and start warming together over low heat.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together with your hands until thoroughly combined.
- Form the mixture into 20 1-inch balls.
- Bake the meatballs on a cookie sheet or baking pan at 350°F for 25 minutes.
- Transfer the meatballs to a casserole, pour the heated sauce over the top and bake at 350°F for 10 minutes.
- Turn the oven off, leaving the dish inside, and let it set in the cooling oven for 20 to 25 minutes until serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 388.6, Fat 24.4, SaturatedFat 9.3, Cholesterol 145.8, Sodium 917.1, Carbohydrate 9.5, Fiber 2.3, Sugar 4.9, Protein 32.4
GRILLED LAMB MEATBALLS WITH SALSA VERDE
- 3 slices white sandwich bread, torn into large pieces
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 2 tablespoons juice
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 2 cups fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (from 1 bunch)
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves (from 1 bunch)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Meatballs: Working in batches, pulse bread into coarse crumbs in a food processor. Transfer to a bowl, drizzle with milk, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, puree onion and garlic in processor until smooth. Add egg white, salt, and pepper; pulse to combine. Stir onion mixture into breadcrumbs. Add lamb and pork; gently mix until just combined. With dampened hands, form mixture into 1-inch-diameter balls. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 1 day. (Or freeze until firm, then transfer to resealable plastic bags and freeze up to 1 month; thaw overnight in refrigerator.)
- Preheat grill for direct heat. Thread 2 meatballs onto each skewer and brush with oil. Grill meatballs, turning a few times, until just cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Salsa verde: Stir together lemon zest and juice, salt, and pepper flakes in a bowl until salt is dissolved. Puree lemon mixture with herbs and oil in processor until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto surface. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve, up to 1 day; dollop onto warm meatballs.
Top Asked Questions
What kind of meat is used in Mexican meatballs?My recipe for Mexican meatballs, or albondigas Mexicanas, are made with a combination of beef and pork. The meat is then mixed with a variety of seasonings and white rice and then cooked in a tomato-chipotle salsa. The meatballs are cooked in the salsa along with potatoes, carrots, and/or squash.
How do you make salsa verde for meatballs?Grill meatballs, turning a few times, until just cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Salsa verde: Stir together lemon zest and juice, salt, and pepper flakes in a bowl until salt is dissolved. Puree lemon mixture with herbs and oil in processor until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto surface.
How do you make a sauce for meatballs?Transfer meatballs to a bowl using a slotted spoon and use the same pan (without washing it) to make the delicious tomato sauce. Add some oil and fry the cook onion until translucent. Add the garlic and stir it shortly. Add the remaining ingredients (don’t forget the fennel – as mentioned above, it makes the sauce perfect).
What's the best way to eat a meatball?Here's your one-stop shop for all things meatball. Serve 'em up plain or in a delicious pasta dish. Check out our favorite meatball recipes to eat in a sandwich, as an appetizer or, of course, with spaghetti in red sauce.
Egg whites vary in size, and the quantity of whites used in a meringue affects its texture. When making these cookies, it's best to use a liquid measuring...
Provided by Gina Marie Miraglia Eriquez
Provided by Chuck Williams
Provided by Frank Randazzo
These low-carb, gluten-free hamburger buns are made with ground almonds, coconut flour, and flax seed.
Provided by myketorecipes
Provided by Daniel Humm
A delicious combination of red pepper sauce, fresh basil, almonds, broccoli florets, and pasta.
Provided by jessica
A brilliant recipe for making with children, making classic custard creams in your favourite shapes.
Provided by simonbeal
My daughter-in-law (and Test Kitchen gal), Krissi, is a rice pudding aficionado and she gives this recipe two enthusiastic thumbs-up. If you've never made...
Provided by maureen gorman
Provided by Lora Zarubin
Provided by á-32809
Serve up a cheesy dinnertime classic with the Turkey and Broccoli Casserole Recipe. Condensed cheddar cheese soup makes this Turkey and Broccoli Casserole...
Provided by My Food and Family
Provided by My Food and Family
Chocolate and peanut butter are at it again, this time in a refrigerator pie that delivers all the creamy goodness you can pour into a cookie crust.
Provided by My Food and Family
People also searched
More about "meatballs in salsa food"
SLOW-COOKER CHEESE-FILLED SALSA MEATBALLS - MY FOOD AND FAMILY
Cuisine Mexican,SouthwestCategory HomeServings 24Total Time 3 hrs 30 mins
- Mix 1/2 cup salsa and seasonings in large bowl until blended. Add meat, bread crumbs and egg; mix just until blended. Shape into 24 (1-inch) meatballs.
- Press 1 cheese cube into center of each meatball, pressing meat mixture around cheese to completely enclose cheese. Place in slow cooker sprayed with cooking spray. Mix tomato sauce and remaining salsa until blended. Pour over meatballs; cover with lid.
MEATBALLS IN TOMATO SAUCE (THE BEST) | RICARDO
5/5 (123)Category Main DishesServings 4-6Total Time 1 hr 30 mins
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, lightly brown the garlic in the oil with the bay leaf and red pepper flakes. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 30 minutes. When they begin to break down, coarsely crush the tomatoes using a potato masher. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse the bread until the size of bread crumbs. In a large bowl, soak the bread crumbs in the milk for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and, using your hands, combine well.
CILANTRO MEATBALLS IN SALSA SAUCE - MEATIFIED
Estimated Reading Time 5 minsTotal Time 40 mins
- Optional step: add the diced onion to a pan with a little oil and saute until no longer raw; remove from heat onto small plate and cool in freezer while assembling other meatball ingredients.
- Add beef, onions, almond flour, tomato paste, egg, cilantro and seasonings to bowl. Mix so ingredients are evenly distributed and form into approximately 12 – 13 meatballs, each weighing about 1.5 oz.
SALSA MEATBALL TAPAS RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK
Servings 12Difficulty 15 minCategory AppetizerSteps 5
- HEAT oven to 350F. Cook meatballs as directed on package; cut in half. Place in large bowl. Add steak sauce and salsa; toss to coat. Cut cheese slices in half. PLACE crackers in single layer on baking sheet; top with cheese and meatballs. BAKE 4 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with olives.
- Special Extra: For spicy tapas, prepare using medium or hot salsa. Top each with 1 jalapeno slice instead of the olive slices.
ALBóNDIGAS CON SALSA VERDE RECIPE - FOOD REPUBLIC
Servings 4Estimated Reading Time 2 mins See details »
MEATBALL APPETIZERS RECIPES - MY FOOD AND FAMILY
See details »
10 BEST SALSA MEATBALLS RECIPES | YUMMLY
See details »