- 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cake flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, diced
- 2 tablespoons chilled vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup ice water, or as needed
- 6 Golden Delicious apples, cored, peeled and halved
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 11/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, as accompaniment
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade, place the flours, sugar and butter. Pulse 5 or 6 times in 1/2-second bursts to break up the butter. Add the shortening, turn on the machine and immediately add the ice water, pulsing 2 or 3 times. The dough should look like a mass of smallish lumps and should just hold together in a mass when a handful is pressed together. If the mixture is too dry, pulse in more water by droplets.
- Turn the dough out onto the work surface and with the heel of your hand, rapidly and roughly push egg-size blobs into a 6-inch smear. Gather the dough into a relatively smooth cake, wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 2 hours (or up to 2 days).
- Slice the halved apples into 4 lengthwise wedges each, and toss in a large bowl with the lemon juice and zest and 1/2 cup sugar. Drain the apples after macerating 20 minutes.
- In a 9-inch skillet melt the butter over high heat. Stir in the remaining sugar and cook until the syrup bubbles and caramelizes, and turns a brown color. Remove the pan from the heat and arrange a layer of apple slices in a neat pattern on the caramel in the skillet, then arrange the remaining apples neatly on top.
- Return the pan to moderately high heat and cook for about 25 minutes, covering the pan after 10 minutes. Every few minutes press down on the apples and baste them with the exuded juices. When the juices are thick and syrupy, remove the pan from the heat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the chilled dough into a circle, 3/16-inch thick and 1-inch larger than the top of the pan. Drape the dough over the apples, pressing the edge of the dough between the apples and the inside of the pan. Cut 4 small steam holes on the top of the dough. Bake until the pastry has browned and crisped, about 20 minutes.
- Unmold the tart onto a serving dish (so the pastry is on the bottom), and serve warm or cold with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, as desired.
FRENCH-STYLE APPLE TART (TARTE TATIN) RECIPE BY TASTY
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1.5 kg apple, preferably Honeycrisp or Granny Smith
- 3 tablespoons water
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Using a 9-inch (23 cm) flat-sided cake pan as a template, cut a circle out from the puff pastry. Using a fork, poke holes all over to provide ventilation. Set aside.
- Peel and quarter the apples, using a spoon or melon baller to remove the cores.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, distribute the water and sugar evenly and cook until light amber in color, stirring to help melt any lumps, 5-7 minutes. Add the butter, stirring constantly until the color is a creamy light brown. Add the apples, stirring until they are coated in a thick layer of caramel.
- Cook for about 15-20 minutes, turning the apples constantly so that they bathe in the caramel. Remove from the heat when the caramel has reduced and little remains in the bottom of the pan. Be careful not to burn the caramel, tasting it from time to time to ensure it does not taste bitter.
- Arrange the apple slices in concentric circles on the bottom of the cake pan. Press the apples tightly against each other, then pour the remaining caramel over the top.
- Lay the circle of puff pastry on top. Tuck the puff pastry down the sides of the pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and firm. Cool for about 1 hour, then invert onto a plate.
- Slice and serve with vanilla ice cream.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 387 calories, Carbohydrate 36 grams, Fat 25 grams, Fiber 0 grams, Protein 3 grams, Sugar 14 grams
- 6 firm apples such as Granny Smith, Pink Lady or Honeycrisp
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) salted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Caviar from 1 vanilla bean
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 sheet puff pastry, chilled
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Peel and core the apples, then cut them into quarters.
- Spread the butter on the bottom of a 12-inch ovensafe nonstick skillet. Mix the sugar, salt and vanilla together to evenly distribute the caviar. Sprinkle the sugar mixture evenly over the butter. Squeeze over the lemon juice.
- Place the apple quarters cut-side up on top. Remember, the bottom will become the top so make it look pretty. Put the pan over medium heat and cook until the sugar melts, caramelizes and begins to thicken. The apples will release their juices during this process, so it could take 10 to 15 minutes. If the juices start getting too dark, lower the heat a little.
- While the apples are cooking, take the puff pastry out of the fridge. Use a knife to cut a circle just big enough to fit over the top of the apples in the skillet. Keep chilled.
- When the sugar has caramelized, place the pastry circle over the apples, gently tucking in the sides. Transfer to the oven and bake until the pastry is risen and golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let rest 10 to 15 minutes.
- Carefully turn the tarte tatin out onto a serving plate. Serve with whipped cream.
Top Asked Questions
How to cook a tarte Tatin?Instructions Heat the oven to 375°F. Peel and core the apples. Start the caramel sauce. Add the apples to the sauce. Cook the apples until caramelized. Top with the pie crust. Bake the tarte Tatin. Cool the tarte Tatin briefly. Invert the tarte Tatin. Remove the skillet and make presentable. Serve warm with ice cream or crème fraîche.
What is a tarte Tatin Apple?Toffee apples for grown-ups, the tarte tatin is all about the flavour of the fruit – crisp pastry, firm, juicy apples and that sweet, buttery caramel topping, holding the whole lot together. We may grow the best varieties, but the French really know what to do with them. 1.
What goes well with Caramel Tarte Tatin?Combining the pleasures of dark caramel, crisp pastry and the sweet acidity of apples, it deserves to be served with the very best crème fraîche (“full fat, please,” says Raymond) or vanilla ice cream. Equipment and preparation: You will need a 20cm/8in tarte Tatin dish.
How thick should puff pastry be for a tarte Tatin?Dust a clean surface and a rolling pin with flour and roll out your puff pastry until it’s just over 0.5cm thick. This will be enough to cover the ovenproof frying pan you’ll be cooking the tarte Tatin in, leaving about 5cm extra around the edge.
Provided by preachergirl
I saw this trick on "The Secret Life of Cake" on the Food Network. Haven't tried it yet, but I will next time I feel like cheating :lol:
Provided by puppitypup
Make and share this Sausage-And- Zucchini Skillet Lasagna recipe from Food.com.
Provided by SarahBeth
When zucchini season rolls around, you know you'll be looking for a recipe like this: quick and delicious Zucchini Lasagna, ready in an hour.
Provided by My Food and Family
Provided by Mommy Diva
Make and share this Scalloped New Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
Provided by ratherbeswimmin
Our tasters went nuts for these muffins - they're moist, fragrant, and put big old bakery muffins to shame. The orange zest in the glaze kicks up the orange...
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Make and share this Vegetable Spaghetti With Squash Noodles recipe from Food.com.
Provided by 49flavours
"This is a very simple cream filling. It can be frozen, and will not weep! I usually double the recipe for 1 batch of lady locks (approximately 120 cookies.)...
Provided by @MakeItYours
Make and share this Crock Pot Potato Soup recipe from Food.com.
Provided by casha
Slices of potato folded with herbs, butter, and sour cream and then baked to a golden brown. Not your "every day" fare! Irresistibly rich and delicious,...
Provided by Happy Harry 2
When is a Bakewell Tart not a Bakewell Tart is a question often asked? When it is a Bakewell Pudding. I can say that even in Bakewell, the town of origin...
Provided by @MakeItYours
Make and share this Easy French Onion Dip recipe from Food.com.
Provided by vannesakelly
I heard this cookie recipe over the radio about 1950-shortly after my husband and I married. The big spicy treats are so nice and chewy, they remain my...
Provided by @MakeItYours
How to make Giant Spice Cookies Recipe
Provided by @MakeItYours
Provided by Food Network
Chewy fruit cookies are warmed in the microwave and topped with ice cream, chocolate topping and walnuts for a unique sundae.
Provided by My Food and Family
Slightly spiced and super moist applesauce cake goes perfectly with a soft and luscious cream cheese and caramel frosting. This is the stuff fall dreams...
Provided by @MakeItYours
Macaroni is a great addition to this family favorite. Cooking the macaroni with the ground beef and seasonings makes cleanup a snap.
Provided by @MakeItYours
People also searched
More about "tarte tatin food"
FRENCH STYLE APPLE TART | TARTE TATIN RECIPE - CHICCA FOOD
Category TartCalories 419 per serving
- In a large bowl, put the flour, a pinch of salt and the cold butter cut in cubes. Mix together until you obtain fine crumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and a teaspoon of water if you need. Knead the dough until you have a smooth ball. It's OK If you keep it a bit crumbly. If it is too worked it will be too hard when cooked.
TARTE TATIN RECIPE - BENOîT GUICHARD | FOOD & WINE
- Spread the sugar evenly in the bottom of a 9-inch cast-iron skillet. Scatter the butter over the sugar and drizzle with the vanilla. Arrange the apple halves on their sides in the skillet in 2 concentric circles with all of the apples facing the same direction. Pack the apples closely together. Place 1 apple half in the center to fill the empty space.
- Set the skillet over moderately low heat and cook the apples until the surrounding syrup becomes a thick, golden brown, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Baste the apples regularly with a bulb baster. The liquid should remain at a gentle bubble.
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Set the skillet on a baking sheet and bake the apples for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven. Set the Classic Flaky Pastry on top of the apples and carefully push the edge of the pastry down inside the pan. Return the skillet to the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and the juices are bubbling over.
- Remove the tart from the oven. Immediately invert a platter with a lip over the skillet. Quickly and carefully invert the tart onto the platter so the apples are on top. If any apples stick to the skillet, set them back into the tart. Serve warm or at room temperature, with dollops of crème fraîche.
TARTE TATIN | FRUIT RECIPES | JAMIE OLIVER RECIPES
Servings 6Total Time 50 minsCategory DessertsCalories 586 per serving
- Preheat your oven to 190˚C/375˚F/gas 5. Dust a clean surface and a rolling pin with flour and roll out your puff pastry until it’s just over 0.5cm thick.
- This will be enough to cover the ovenproof frying pan you’ll be cooking the tarte Tatin in, leaving about 5cm extra around the edge.
- Put the pastry to one side for now. Peel your apples, then halve them horizontally and use a teaspoon to get rid of the seeds and core.Put the ovenproof pan on a medium heat and add the sugar, Calvados, vanilla seeds and pod.
TARTE TATIN RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
Cuisine FrenchTotal Time 1 hr 35 minsCategory Afternoon Tea, Dessert, TreatCalories 444 per serving
- Roll the pastry to a 3mm-thick round on a lightly floured surface and cut a 24cm circle, using a plate as a guide. Lightly prick all over with a fork, place on a baking sheet, then cover and freeze while preparing the apples.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Peel, quarter and core the apples. Put the sugar in a flameproof 20cm ceramic tatin dish or a 20cm ovenproof heavy-based frying pan and place over a medium-high heat. Cook the sugar for 5-7 mins to a dark amber caramel syrup that’s starting to smoke, then turn off the heat and stir in the 60g diced chilled butter.
- To assemble the tarte tatin, arrange the apple quarters very tightly in a circle around the edge of the dish first, rounded-side down, then fill in the middle in a similar fashion. Gently press with your hands to ensure there are no gaps. Brush the fruit with the melted butter.
- Bake in the oven for 30 mins, then remove and place the disc of frozen puff pastry on top – it will quickly defrost. Tuck the edges down the inside of the dish and, with a knife, prick a few holes in the pastry to allow steam to escape. Bake for a further 40-45 mins until the pastry is golden brown and crisp.
TARTE TATIN RECIPE | DAVE LIEBERMAN | FOOD NETWORK
5/5 (14)Author Dave LiebermanCuisine FrenchCategory Dessert
- Cut butter into little chunks and keep cold to work into pastry. Whisk flour, sugar, and salt together in a mixing bowl. Add butter and work into the flour until coarsely distributed. Whisk in egg, water, and vanilla; work together with 2 forks until it just barely holds together. Use a piece of plastic wrap to ball up the dough and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Melt the butter and sugar together in a 12-inch nonstick oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the apple slices and stir to coat with melted butter mixture. Sprinkle with cinnamon and cook until apples have softened slightly and take on some color, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Smooth the apples out into an even layer in the pan.
TARTE TATIN - TRADITIONAL AND AUTHENTIC FRENCH RECIPE ...
5/5 (1)Category DessertCuisine French, VegetarianTotal Time 1 hr 5 mins
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the butter and icing sugar at medium speed for a few minutes until reaching a sandy texture.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place it on the apples, making sure to fold the edges inside around the mold.
GRAPE TARTE TATIN RECIPE - FOOD.COM
Servings 8Total Time 40 minsCategory TartsCalories 103 per serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Roll puff pastry until it's 1/8 inch thick. Using a bowl as a template, use the tip of a sharp knife cut out a 10 1/2 inch circle of puff pastry.
- Over medium-high heat, melt butter in a 10-inch ovenproof skillet, preferably non-stick or cast-iron. Stirring frequently, add grapes and cook until many have burst and are golden in places, about 15 minutes. Stir in the sugar, lemon, and salt and simmer 1 minute longer or until liquid has thickened slightly.
- Push grapes into a single layer and cover with puff pastry. Bake until puffed and brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes, then carefully turn out onto a round plate. Serve warm and cut into wedges. Top with whipped cream if desired.
FRENCH APPLE TARTE TATIN RECIPE-QUICK & EASY | FOOD VOYAGEUR
5/5 (1)Total Time 35 minsCategory Dessert
- Peel the apples, cut in half then take off the eye of the apple and cut into quarters. Place them in the lemon water mixture until needed
TARTE TATIN RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
5/5 (10)Total Time 1 hr 20 minsCategory Desserts, Pies, Tarts, Fruit Tart RecipesCalories 287 per serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line the outside of a 9 inch springform pan with foil to catch drips.
- Spread butter evenly into a 9 inch springform pan. Sprinkle with sugar. Arrange apple slices into an overlapping pattern over sugar layer. Cover apples with pastry, trimming sides if necessary. Place pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, until pastry is golden brown. Allow to cool slightly, then release sides of pan. Place a large plate over pastry, then invert so apple layer is on top. Remove bottom of pan and serve.
TARTE TATIN RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK KITCHEN | FOOD NETWORK
4.5/5 (2)Difficulty EasyCategory DessertSteps 7
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Coarsely grate 2 sticks (1 cup) of the butter on the large holes of a box grater onto one of the prepared baking sheets. Toss the butter with a sprinkle of flour and arrange the butter in an even layer on the prepared sheet. Freeze until rock solid, about 30 minutes.
- Whisk together the flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Fold in the frozen butter pieces. Slowly drizzle in 1/2 cup ice water, whisking with a fork until small pieces form and the dough just starts to come together, being careful not to overwork it. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll out into a 12-by-1/4-inch-thick circle. Transfer to the other prepared baking sheet and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, peel, core and halve the apples. Cut all but one of the apple halves in half again. Put the lemon juice in a large bowl and toss the apple pieces with the lemon juice; set aside. Cut the remaining 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter into small cubes; set aside.
NECTARINE TARTE TATIN RECIPE - FOOD.COM
Servings 10Total Time 1 hrCategory DessertCalories 169 per serving
- Combine sugar, water and juice in a 12-inch stainless steel skillet. Cook for 2 minutes or until sugar is golden (do not stir). Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Let stand 3 minutes.
- Place nectarine half, cut side down, in center of sugar mixture; arrange nectarine quarters, cut side down, around center. Return pan to medium heat.
PEAR TARTE TATIN RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
Cuisine FrenchTotal Time 1 hrCategory Afternoon Tea, Dessert, DinnerCalories 429 per serving
- Core the pears, then peel as neatly as possible and halve. If you like, they can be prepared up to a day ahead and kept in the fridge, uncovered, so that they dry out.
- Tip the sugar, butter, star anise, cardamom and cinnamon into an ovenproof frying pan, about 20cm wide, and place over a high heat until bubbling. Shake the pan and stir the buttery sauce until it separates and the sugar caramelises to a toffee colour.
- Lay the pears in the pan, then cook in the sauce for 10-12 mins, tossing occasionally, until completely caramelised. Don’t worry about them burning – they won’t – but you want to caramelise them as much as possible. Splash in the brandy and let it flambé, then set the pears aside.
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Roll the pastry out to the thickness of a £1 coin. Using a plate slightly larger than the top of the pan, cut out a circle, then press the edges of the circle of pastry to thin them out.
TARTE TATIN RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK
5/5 (3)Author Wolfgang PuckServings 6-8Category Dessert
- In a 9-inch shallow saucepan (about 9 by 3-inches), melt the butter. Stir in 1/2 cup of sugar and cook until golden brown.
- Peel, core and quarter the apples. In a non-reactive bowl, combine the apples and lemon juice. Start arranging the apple quarters in a flower-like fashion. Continue to do this until all the apples are used, forming a second layer. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, until golden brown. Turn the apples over and place in the oven and cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Before serving, return pan over medium heat to loosen caramel. Move the pan and when you see the apples loosen, remove from heat. Top with the pre-baked puff pastry and turn upside down onto a serving platter. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and caramelize with a propane torch or a creme brulee iron. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
ENDIVE TARTE TATIN RECIPE - FOOD & WINE
Servings 6Total Time 2 hrs
- In a food processor, pulse the flour and salt. Add the butter pieces and pulse to the size of small peas. Sprinkle the ice water over the flour mixture and pulse until the pastry starts to come together.
- Scrape the pastry out onto a work surface and knead gently a few times to form a cohesive dough. Flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled and firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a 12-inch ovenproof skillet, melt the butter. Add the endives, cut sides down, and cook over moderately high heat until sizzling, about 2 minutes. Cover the skillet, transfer to the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Turn the endives cut sides up and season with salt and pepper. Cover and bake for about 20 minutes longer, until very tender.
- Turn the endives cut side down. Cook over moderately high heat until browned, 2 minutes. Add the orange juice to the skillet and bring to a boil, then remove from the heat. Increase the oven temperature to 425°.
TARTE TATIN - MY FOOD AND FAMILY
4/5 (88)Category BreadServings 10Total Time 40 mins
- Melt butter in 10-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet on medium-low heat. Remove from heat. Add dry gelatin mix, cornstarch and cinnamon; stir 2 min. until gelatin is completely dissolved. Arrange single layer of apples, cut sides down, in skillet. Top with any remaining apples.
- Cook on medium-low heat 8 min.; top with pie crust. Cut several slits in crust with sharp knife. Place in oven.
- Bake 20 min. or until crust is golden brown and apples are tender. Cool 3 min. Using oven mitts, place large serving plate on top of skillet. Carefully turn skillet over onto plate. Remove skillet. Slice tart while still warm. Serve topped with COOL WHIP.
AUTUMN FOOD - THE TARTE TATIN - MY FRENCH COUNTRY HOME
Reviews 22Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
TARTE TATIN RECIPE - BBC FOOD
Cuisine FrenchCategory DessertsServings 6-8
TARTE TATIN -- EASY VERSION RECIPE - FOOD.COM
5/5 (16)Category TartsAuthor Ellen ECalories 274 per serving
TARTE TATIN | BBC GOOD FOOD
Cuisine FrenchTotal Time 40 minsServings 6
APPLE TARTE TATIN RECIPE - BBC FOOD
Cuisine FrenchCategory DessertsServings 8-10
TARTE TATIN - WIKIPEDIA
Main ingredients Apples or other fruits Region or state Centre-Val de LoirePlace of origin FranceCreated by Tatin sisters
CLASSIC TARTE TATIN RECIPE - FOOD REPUBLIC
Servings 6Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
TARTE TATIN RECIPE | FRENCH RECIPES | PBS FOOD
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
BEST MAPLE-APPLE TARTE TATIN RECIPE
Servings 8-12Total Time 2 hrsCategory Dessert
SAVOURY TARTE TATIN RECIPE - FOOD.COM
5/5 (1)Total Time 28 minsCategory Lunch/SnacksPublished 2010-03-21
TARTE TATIN RECIPE : SBS FOOD
3.1/5 (14)Servings 4Cuisine AustralianCategory Dessert
TARTE TATIN RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
3.5/5 (60)Servings 8
CLAY-POT TARTE TATIN RECIPE - PAULA WOLFERT | FOOD & WINE
5/5 (73)Total Time 2 hrs 45 minsServings 8
TARTE TATIN | RICARDO
4/5 (19)Total Time 1 hr 25 minsCategory DessertsCalories 270 per serving
TARTE TATIN - FOODESS
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
TARTE TATIN | FRANCE - THE TRAVEL AND FOOD NETWORK
HOW PLANT-BASED DIETS HAVE EVOLVED, PLUS A RECIPE FOR ...
TARTE TATIN | TRADITIONAL DESSERT FROM LAMOTTE-BEUVRON, FRANCE
THE ULTIMATE TARTE TATIN | CANADIAN LIVING
TARTE TATIN RECIPES - BBC FOOD
FOOD: TARTE TATIN TAKES APPLES TO A NEW LEVEL | THE STAR ...
TARTE TATIN RECIPE | JAMES BEARD FOUNDATION
TARTE TATIN: ALL ABOUT TARTE TATIN - FINE DINING LOVERS
TARTE TATIN RECIPE GORDON RAMSAY WITH INGREDIENTS ...
FOOD WISHES VIDEO RECIPES: TARTE TATIN – SEE WHAT THE ...
BEETROOT TARTE TATIN - SORTEDFOOD
HOW TO COOK PERFECT TARTE TATIN | FRENCH FOOD AND DRINK ...
CLASSIC TARTE TATIN | CANADIAN LIVING
TARTE TATIN | CANADIAN LIVING
TARTE TATIN AUX POMMES A FRENCH CLASSIC - PERFECTLY PROVENCE
TARTE TATIN RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD